This is a great time to plan the details of your move.
- Make a list of items that you plan to move to your new home and items you wish to put in storage. From that list, identify which items are to be handled by the mover and those you will handle yourself. Donate or dispose of anything that you do not need and consider a garage sale if you have time.
- Research and get estimates from several moving companies. After selecting your mover, discuss costs, packing, timing and other necessary details.
- Start a file with important moving related information. Since many moving related expenses are tax deductible you'll want to save moving related receipts in this file as well.
- If you're moving to a new community, contact the local Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's Bureau to learn about the schools, parks, recreation and community programs.
- Contact your insurance agent to update your medical, property, fire and auto policies.
- Place all your medical records and other important documents in a safe place. Don’t forget prescriptions, vaccination records and other important information.